Monday, March 16, 2009

Solo and Ensemble

Saturday, March 7th was the annual Solo and Ensemble competition which took place in Hermiston. We took seven students: three instrumentalists and four vocalists.

I would have to say that mostly every one was successful, despite a few break downs. Bad performance experiences can scar a person for life, but I'm grateful that the few students who had some minor mess-ups are back in band playing their little hearts out.

In this age of fast technology, fast food, instant gratification, and McDonaldization of, well... about everything, we are taught to believe that music must be perfect every time you perform it, and it must sound the same every time, too. But music is live art, not canned art. If you want a song to sound the same every time, listen to a recording of it.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun watching my vocal students at Solo and Ensemble step out and perform. It was encouraging for me when the judge reinforced everything I taught them. Now they can see that I DO know what I'm talking about!

1 comment:

  1. I have mixed feelings about competition because I hear performances so subjectively...but adjudication can be very constructive and useful for learning. I am glad there were no body blows to the psyches of your students!

    ReplyDelete