Monday, March 16, 2009

Music Snob

The 7th/8th choir and Jazz band is having a joint concert on Thursday, March 19th at 7 p.m. in the La Grande Middle School Commons. It's the first choir concert since I've been at LMS, and I'm excited but I'm also a little worried.

We don't have a piano accompanist, mostly because we don't have the money to pay one (thanks to the budget freeze!) Where does that leave us? Using a CD recording. Blegh... I loathe singing along with CD accompaniment. For this I am called a music snob. Fine by me.

Singing along with a CD is almost sacrilege to me. Not only is it not authentic, it seems a crime to live in a town full of very talented people and have to use canned music!

The students treat it like singing along to the radio, which is part of the problem. They come into class and check-out, not even bothering to glance at the director. We'll see how the concert goes- if nothing else, the students do know their music really well.

Is there anyone out there willing to volunteer one or two days a week to play the piano for a choir class? Email me or post a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been doing a lot of really great activities with your students! Maybe Porter could help you out or know one of her band buddies would could...or maybe a local church player would like to help. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to play for the next concert! (plus a couple of rehearsals ahead!) I loathe taped music also! I refused to go to Little Women for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete